iOS 16.4 is now rolling out to everyone, and it includes a number of new features for iPhone users. There are new emoji, more powerful web apps, bug fixes, and much more. Head below for the full release notes.
This story is supported by Mosyle, the only Apple Unified Platform. Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates five different applications on a single Apple-only platform, allowing businesses and schools to easily and automatically deploy, manage, and protect all their Apple devices. Over 38,000 organizations leverage Mosyle solutions to automate the deployment, management, and security of millions of Apple devices daily. Request a FREE account today and discover how you can put your Apple fleet on auto-pilot at a price point that is hard to believe.
How to install iOS 16.4
iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 are available to all iPhone and iPad models starting today. You can update by heading to the Settings app, choosing General, and then choosing Software Update. If you don’t see the update right away, be sure to keep checking, as it can sometimes take a few minutes to hit every iPhone and iPad. The updates are expected to be available to everyone within the hour.
Once you begin the installation process, your iPhone or iPad will download the update, then prompt you to reboot your device to finish the process. Keep in mind your device will be unusable while it reboots to install the update.
What’s new in iOS 16.4?
Here are the official release notes for iOS 16.4:
- Twenty-one new emoji, including animals, hand gestures, and objects, are now available in the emoji keyboard
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen
- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent’s device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
Top comment by Mike Faulkner
We got 21 new emoji, but no fix for Siri? Is that Apple's priority?
There are also some new features not mentioned in Apple’s release notes but are included in iOS 16.4. This includes 5G Standalone support, 5G in additional countries, and the reintroduction of Apple’s new HomeKit architecture. The update also changes how Apple releases iOS betas.
- Apple is making it easier for registered developers to install iOS betas, but eliminating profile sharing
- iOS 16.4 beta 3 lets users sign in with a different Apple ID to download beta software
- Google Fi 5G appearing on iPhone with iOS 16.4 beta
- 3Gbps iPhone speeds could be coming soon as iOS 16.4 brings 5G Standalone support
- iOS 16.4 expands 5G support to new regions, plus Google Fi users
What are you most looking forward to trying with iOS 16.4? Let us know down in the comments.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.